Hands-on experience with the Fujifilm X-Pro2 plus our range of lenses
Working together on the streets of London’s Soho, Chinatown and the West End, this workshop is designed to help you become a creative, competent and confident street photographer. It will combine structured shooting with coaching from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett. This is not a ‘photo walk’ – it’s an immersive, intensive learning experience, designed to elevate your street photography to a new level.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Develop a street photographer’s ‘eye’ and learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an everyday street scene.
- Appreciate the aesthetics of and various approaches to street photography.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Practice different types of street photography and discover your preferred style of shooting.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at noon for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around 1 to 1.5 hours’ tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session. Expect to walk around 6-8km on this workshop.
- Our small group sizes allow participants to receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from the course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett, a professional street photographer and photojournalist.
- After a short a lunch break we’ll hit the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4pm; for those who want to come along, we’ll find a quiet corner of a pub for an optional drink, a thorough debrief and a Q&A session.
YOUR COURSE LEADER: BRIAN LLOYD DUCKETT
Brian is a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association).
Brian has a very relaxed and engaging teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual; his next book, ‘52 Street Photography Assignments’ is due to be published in the autumn.
WHAT KIT DO YOU NEED?
Brian shoots his street photography using an X-Pro2, the unique rangefinder style lends itself to discrete shooting style. For that reason we will have X-Pro2 cameras with XF18-55 lenses available to use on the day. We will also provide a FREE 16GB memory card for you to use and keep on the day.
44 Museum St
6th October 2018 - 12:00 to 18:00
Please aim to arrive 15 minutes earlier than your session time.
- Expert tuition and live model demonstration from professional photographer - Brian Duckett
- Use of the FUJIFILM X-Pro2 camera and lenses
- 16GB SD memory card
- Refreshments during the morning briefing (tea, coffee & biscuits)
Please note: Tickets do not include any other expenses, train fares, lunch, taxi fares, parking charges etc. unless otherwise stated.
Back to top
Terms & conditions
Once you have purchased a ticket your place on the day will be reserved. If circumstances change and you need to cancel your place, please let us know 10 days before the event and we will be happy to issue you a refund in full. Refunds after this time are none refundable.
You need to be at least 18 years of age in order to take part in this event and a disclaimer form will need to be completed on the day in order to take part in the day's activity.
A copy of the disclaimer form is available HERE
Please feel free to contact us @ email@example.com
Back to top