Learn how to take better portraits on location using the GFX medium format system and the advice of X-Photographer Jamie Stoker. Working together on a mock editorial assignment, attendees will learn a comprehensive approach to portrait photography, from pre shoot planning and approach to lens and lighting considerations whilst photographing your subject.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How working as a freelance portrait photographer typically works, with other professional and industry advice
- Figuring out an overall approach to portrait photography, that comes from how you are as a person and will be sustainable long term.
- Working on an assignment and how to approach a typical shoot for a magazine.
- Pre shoot planning and considerations
- On the day setup and gear selection
- Shooting in natural light and supplementing this with flash if needed
- Portraiture tips and how to photography our subject
- Building a story and shooting incidentals and details to add context to our subject
- Post shoot editing and image selection
- A introduction to post processing with Capture One to finish off the shoot
- The workshop will begin with coffee and introductions and an overview of the day
- For the opening hour the group will discuss approaches to portrait photography working as a portrait photographer on assignment
- Jamie will share with the group his own work and career development and give advice
- Attendees will be encouraged to think about their own viewpoint and approach to portrait photography
- For the main practical part of the day the group will be given a mock assignment to photograph our subject and location
- With the help of Jamie and the Fujifilm team, they will plan their approach and gear and familiarise themselves with the GFX system and lighting.
- The attendees will then have two hours to photograph our subject ‘on assignment’ with Jamie providing support and advice
- They will learn everything from how to guide their subject, to whatlights to use and shots to get, with the aim of building a portrait story to meet the brief and deliver to the client
- Break for Lunch
- After lunch the attendees will review their images and with Jamie’s help start to edit them down to a final selection.
- For those that are interested Jamie will introduce them to Capture One and typical post production.
- For others that prefer to take advantage of the gear and subject, they can continue shooting with support from Jamie and the Fufjilm specialist.
- End the day with a final debrief and image review and go over what was learnt.
YOUR COURSE LEADER: JAMIE STOKER
Jamie is freelance photographer based in London shooting a mixture of portrait and fashion Assignments. Over the last ten years he has used Fujifilm exclusively as he developed from a
graduate to a full time working photographer. He now shoots for magazines like The New York Times and British Vogue, as well as brands like Burberry and Dior. He spends two months of each year taking backstage portraits for Vogue at the major fashion weeks, and when he is back in London shoots portrait commissions and personal work. He is an official Fujifilm XPhotographer and will be on hand throughout the day to share with attendees all his advice and knowledge.
WHAT KIT DO YOU NEED?
Jamie shoots his portraiture with the GFX 50S so we will have this camera and some lenses available to try on the day. You will also be given a 16GB SD card, which you can take away with you. Please note: the image files from a medium format camera are large so it’s important to bring your own SD cards too!
Green Lens Studios
North 4 Studio
4a Atterbury Road
London, N4 1SF
21st November 2019 - 10:00 to 16:00
Please aim to arrive 15 minutes earlier than your session time.
- Receive expert training & advice from professional Photographer Jamie Stoker
- Get hands-on with the Fujifilm GFX 50S cameras and lenses
- Limited to only 6 spaces
- 16GB SD memory card
Please note: Tickets do not include any other expenses, train fares, lunch, taxi fares, parking charges etc. unless otherwise stated.
Back to top
Terms & conditions
Once you have purchased a ticket your place on the day will be reserved. If circumstances change and you need to cancel your place, please let us know 10 days before the event and we will be happy to issue you a refund in full. Refunds after this time are non refundable.
You need to be at least 18 years of age in order to take part in this event and a disclaimer form will need to be completed on the day in order to take part in the day's activity.
A copy of the disclaimer form is available HERE
Please feel free to contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top