This workshop will be an introduction into children’s portraiture, from getting the clients through to delivery of the final product.
The main emphasis will be how to capture stunning images of children on location. Using, styling, light, composition and expressions to push your portraiture to a different level.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Where to advertise and get the right clients for your business, paying attention to facebook ads and events, adwords, and mailchimp.
- Styling your shoots to the season to maximise the shooting year.
- How to scout great locations for stunning children's portraits.
- How to start a shoot with comfortable and eager subjects.
- Leading the shoot with patience and confidence, with emphasis on body language and communication skills directed at children.
- Understanding composition and subject placement for beautiful children's portraits.
- Creating variety in your portraits shoots to maximise your sales potential.
- The correct camera settings for lifestyle portraiture.
- Learning posing techniques for children, both singular and with siblings.
- How to close a shoot.
- Back up and editing techniques.
- Sales and the delivery of the final product.
A LAYOUT OF THE DAY
- Meet at 10 o'clock for Coffee and Introductions and a brief description of what will happen during the day.
- An introduction of Saraya and some of her images, with reference to past work and how this has moved forward into award winning and Fellowship panel images.
- An in depth look at some of Saraya’s most recent projects, and a detailed description of how she approaches her location portraits.
- With particular attention paid to location spotting, looking for the light, correct lenses and camera settings to use, in a variety of different scenarios.
- Hands-on, local shoot to practice your new skills on each other and explore the various techniques Saraya uses to create her fantastic portraiture.
- Return to the studio for review and summery.
There will be several hours here you will be able to practice your skill on location. Saraya will be on hand guiding and demonstrating first hand how to capture beautiful portraits that you can later apply to working with children. Explaining what to look for, and how to see the perfect image.
YOUR COURSE LEADER: SARAYA CORTAVILLE
Saraya Cortaville is an award winning portrait and social documentary photographer. Saraya has received two fellowships (one of only two women in the UK to have achieved this). Her first being for studio portraiture and most recently social documentary for a project she completed in 2015 whilst living in Africa. Saraya was awarded the Peter Grugeon award for the best fellowship portfolio of 2015, and a gold award in Visual Arts in the professional photography awards 2016.
Saraya’s passion for travel and people has pushed her career in to a more adventurous phase and she has recently lived and worked abroad for various international NGO’s documenting social issues in countries as far as Tanzania, Nepal and Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Saraya skillfully manages to draw out her subjects emotions and feelings, in a sensitive and empathetic nature, her portraits are an observation and moment of connection, between two people, rather than photographer and subject.
When not abroad Saraya shoots primarily location portraiture specializing in children and documentary weddings
WHAT KIT DO YOU NEED?
We will have the new X-T3 camera and a wide range of XF lenses available to use on the day. We will also include a FREE 16GB memory card for you to use and keep on the day.
Please bring a packed lunch, snacks and drinks
The Clocktower Room
The Angel Hotel
Castle Street, Cardiff
29th August 2019 - 10:00 to 16:30
Please aim to arrive 15 minutes earlier than your session time.
- Expert tuition
- Use of the FUJIFILM X-T3 camera and lenses
- 16GB SD memory card
Please note: Tickets do not include any other expenses, train fares, lunch, taxi fares, parking charges etc. unless otherwise stated.
Back to top
Terms & conditions
Once you have purchased a ticket your place on the day will be reserved. If circumstances change and you need to cancel your place, please let us know 10 days before the event and we will be happy to issue you a refund in full. Refunds after this time are non refundable.
You need to be at least 18 years of age in order to take part in this event and a disclaimer form will need to be completed on the day in order to take part in the day's activity.
A copy of the disclaimer form is available HERE
Please feel free to contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top